Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

when i think about discipleship

Our church had a 'workday' today. Painting, disinfecting scrubbing, de-wallpapering, organizing, installing light fixtures. We had families come, handed out packets of wipes to younger kids to clean all the toys and paint brushes to the older kids to prime.

It was messy, and beautiful, and discipleship

I was talking to someone a while back about the youth group we have launched. I am not really into it. I love the kids, the games, the devotions, the leader ;) but after wanting a youth group for so long, I find I am much happier to watch teens interacting with all these different ages. To see our oldest deacon and wife showing kids where to find rags and how to remove wall paper. And to trust that there are some teens ushering kids around to organize or dust, they are being discipled practically, while discipling.

It's pretty neat to watch.

These are favorite moments in my life.

When God brings different ages together.

Our only junior high girl hanging out with a junior and senior on our retreat was another example of this, melding of growth- in different places and reaching out to each other.

I used to clean the church with Joan Bohn, she did the work really, I followed her around and talked, and talked. She would listen and be so sweet when I wanted to carry her baby around at 12 years old. She said she only had one boyfriend before she met her husband. I thought that was ridiculous, what are teenage years for if not to date?! But I always, always remembered that. And, I understand it now.

Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of putting the kabosh on youth group- but I am beginning to realize I hold other things closer to my heart. To see the Kingdom in these moments

. I had a Pastor once call them 'thin places', when the what God is doing right now, spiritually doesn't seem far away at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment